Concordia Lutheran Church - LCMS WEEKLY SERMON Williston, ND

Sunday, September 18, 2011

What happen to Grandpa's Church

I love church youth. Since I have been able I have tried to be involved in youth in all the churches I have been a member in. The church I am in right now is no exception. I am concerned that we as a church are harming are children in what we call youth ministry.
I am constantly hearing the argument that you need to meet youth on their own ground. Yet I look at the mainstream church which is doing this, and the youth are still leaving the churches by droves no matter the denomination.  The youth which we proudly held in the church by youth ministry are leaving as if they never went to church. They are worldly, immature, and constantly dishonoring to their parents and other authorities in their lives.  My heart is broken over this. This has made me think that we as leaders might have been looking in all the wrong places for how to educate and keep our children in the church.
As my concerns increased, the main issue I see is the fragmentation of the Family.  Literally every single program or ministry in our church which I attend presently separates the family into an age-segregated system of discipleship. Everything we are doing fragments the family
This concerns which not only I bring up, but many more churches which see the same cycle are fuel by one important issue which should be all of our concerns. Our cardinal doctrine as Protestant and Lutherans faith is Sola Scriptura, which argues that God's Word alone is sufficient for faith and practice.  This principle makes the Bible the exclusive foundation for all that we do. It is rooted in the belief that man's notions for how to live must be set aside for God's clear directives as found in His inspired, written revelation, and that God's people are to limit themselves to obedience to His revealed will. The more I look at modern youth ministry had largely developed from traditions, cultural preferences, statistical surveys, and the opinions of creative leaders, rather that biblical principles.
In the book written by Scott Brown A Weed in the Church he says this, "It finally occurred to me that if I began with Scripture alone, I would have no reason for age-segregated Christianity. In others words, if all I had was the Bible, it would be difficult (if not impossible) to establish the credibility of this Practice."  God is telling us  what His church should be, we are separating and Body which God calls the church.
This practice of age-segregation has been adopted by the church now for over 200 years. And as I sit in the pew of my church I see a least three generations which have been affected by this style of youth ministry. Their is a generational gap which proof of what is happening. The average age of member is 50-70 years old, trickle in this bunch is 20-40 and few younger. And most of the youth which are involve probably never come back to church after confirmation.
"The Weed in the Church
The youth in our churches are in trouble. During the past decade, Lifeway Research, Pew Research Center, Barna Group, America's Research Group, and others have shown us startling state of the next generation.

However, these numbers are not necessary to make the case for the poor state of youth in the church. Just look around in your church. It is almost impossible to find any youth in modern churches who are truly sober-minded. How common is it to find young men whose lives are consistent with what Paul required them to be?

In all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility, sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil to say of you (Tit. 2:7-8)

To Be Continue...........

"A Weed in a Church" Scott Brown
http://dividedthemovie.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment